Our Charter Members
Dewey Roscoe Jones
Lawson E Thomas
A common misconception throughout our fraternity is that Phi Chapter was first established at Talladega College, a private historically black college in Talladega, Alabama. Through heavy research and countless hours of historical digging, the true history of Phi Chapter has been discovered.
Phi Chapter was established in Ann Arbor, Michigan on May 2, 1921 by Grand Basileus Brother Raymond G. Robinson and eight newly initiated members of the fraternity – Bro. John Richard Cottin, Bro. Dewey Roscoe Jones, Bro. Jesus Coleman Randolfo, Bro. William Henry Rodgers, Bro. Howard Dobson Shaw, Bro. Floyd Howard Skinner, Bro. Lawson Edwarde Thomas, and Bro. Carroll Burns Williams – who were enrolled at the University of Michigan. These eight charter members were accompanied by a ninth member of their group, Bro. Eugene G. Alston, who is an initiate of Beta Chapter at Lincoln University, in Lincoln, PA. He was pivotal in the development of the chapter as he served as an organizer and the chapter’s first Basileus.
The University officially recognized Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Phi Chapter as a student organization on May 2, 1922, after serving a one year probationary period and conducting fraternal business as the student organization by the name of “The Annex Club”.
The first chapter fraternity house was located at 144 Hill St. in Ann Arbor, MI.
Years of Being Owt